Businesses need to stand for something. Whether you're a small business that sources their products from local vendors or a large business that gives back to the community; we believe businesses have a social responsibility to do everything they can to make this world a better place.
At Hop Hedz Gear, we stand for many things...
1) We support our military men and women by supporting various military charities. We value the sacrifice that our brothers and sisters give everyday for our freedom and we will always do our best to support the US Armed Forces. For more information on how we can support your military cause, email email@example.com.
2) We support our local communities by teaming up with breweries, charities and other small businesses, just like us. We facilitate collaborations, special events, and even pitch in when our friends are in need. We believe that we MUST support our local businesses. They are the life-blood of our towns.
3) We stand for our Environment. Our planet's health recently came up in conversation about what we want to stand for in the future. In the past, we used to hand out a plastic bag with every sale. We weren't comfortable with it. When we read a recent article from National Geographic, published in December of 2018, we recognized the need for change.
In the article, “Fast facts about plastic pollution” by Laura Parker; an amazing amount of information was shared that illustrated some rather horrific facts about plastic and plastic bag use.
A few facts found within the article are listed below:
- Some 18 billion pounds of plastic waste flows into the oceans every year from coastal regions.
- 40 percent of plastic that is made, is used for packaging. Used just once and discarded.
- Shoppers in the United States use almost one plastic bag per resident per day. In comparison, shoppers in Denmark use an average of four plastic bags a year.
- Nearly all plastic ever manufactured has been made since the year 2000.
- The United States recycles only 9% of plastic trash. Only 1/3 of the total amount that ALL of Europe recycles.
- About 8% of the world’s oil production is used to make plastic and to power the manufacturing of it. That figure is projected to rise to 20% by 2050.
No more plastic bags.
At Hop Hedz Gear, we believe that we can help our planet. In January 2019, we started making a hip new reusable grocery bag branded with the Hop Hedz Logo. While they will not be free, they can be picked up for an affordable $2, or we will give you one for free with a $50 purchase online or at any show. This is not something we are doing to make a profit. This is something we are doing to make a change. In fact, at the end of 2019, we will calculate the number of bags we’ve sold, and we will make a donation to the Surfrider Foundation. Their mission states, “The Surfrider Foundation is a community of everyday people who passionately protect our playground - the ocean, waves, and beaches - that provide us so much enjoyment.” One of their core aspects of their organization is to reduce plastic trash at our beaches and in our oceans, and that is something we can ALL get behind.
So, the next time you see Hop Hedz Gear at a show, be sure to stop by and grab a reusable bag to carry your wares. Take it with you to a bottle shop (it conveniently holds a six pack or growler) or to the grocery store. One thing is for certain, you will never receive a plastic bag from Hop Hedz Gear ever again. We know we are going to help our planet with this gesture and we are going to do everything we can to do our part. We hope you do to.
Find out more about the Surfrider Foundation at https://www.surfrider.org/.
Hop Hedz Gear